Saturday, October 2, 2010

Movie Ratings Defined

I'm taking Chloe to the movies today. Nash isn't a huge fan of going to the movies so he's going to stay home with Dad and watch sports. Anytime I take the kids to the movies I always check out http://www.kids-in-mind.com/ It's a VERY useful site and it gives detailed ratings and explanations about profanity, sexual content, and violence.
kids-in-mind.com

There is nothing more annoying to me than when I see parents take their kids to movie's that are not age appropriate. Kyle and I have date night every Friday. We always go to the movies, and it irritates us so much to see young children in Rated R movies or even PG-13! It's like the parents want to go the movies so bad they just take their kids with them. I don't get it. Stay home, rent it, and watch it on your own time! You're going to let your child watch sex scenes, people taking drugs, people killing and cursing eachother, then you're going to send them off to school with my kid! If people think that it goes over their heads, they are so wrong!
Here are the ratings defined.
I get this list from: http://www.filmratings.com/

G=THE MOTION PICTURE CONTAINS NOTHING THAT WOULD OFFEND PARENTS FOR VIEWING BY THEIR CHILDREN.
PG=PARENTS ARE URGED TO USE "PARENTAL GUIDANCE", AS THE MOTION PICTURE MAY CONTAIN SOME MATERIAL PARENTS MIGHT NOT LIKE FOR THEIR YOUNGER CHILDREN TO VIEW.
PG-13=PARENTS ARE URGED TO BE  CAUTIOUS.  SOME MATERIAL MAY BE INAPPROPRIATE FOR PRE-TEENAGERS.
R=CONTAINS SOME ADULT MATERIAL.  PARENTS ARE URGED TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE MOTION PICTURE BEFORE TAKING THEIR YOUNGER CHILDREN WITH THEM. GENERALLY, IT IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR PARENTS TO BRING THEIR YOUNG CHILDREN WITH THEM TO R-RATED MOTION PICTURES.
NC-17=PATENTLY ADULT.  CHILDREN ARE NOT ADMITTED.
Hello People! Children should not go to R movies! See, I told you! And I didn't really even know what NC-17 was until I just read it!

By the way, Kyle and I saw The Social Network last night. We loved it! We were thouroughly engaged the entire time. (Except maybe the first couple minutes of the film when he is running accross the campus. Perhaps they could have edidted out some of that.) Anyway, I thought the actors did really great jobs of connecting with the audience. Justin Timberlake was fantastic, he really made me hate his character. I give it the stamp of-Recommended!

That's my opinion, my rant! What do you think?


1 comment:

Sarah said...

You are right on. We live in FL and Universal Studios does Halloween Horror Nights. It is unbeleiveably gory (I wouldn't go, but I've heard from lots of high school kids - I used ot teach we can't even stand the ads they put out for it) and my 2nd grader comes home and tells me how her classmates are bragging that they went with their parents. Come on parents - get a babysitter!