Friday, April 8, 2011

Thick, Soft, & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


I love a soft chewy chocolate chip cookie. This is my recipe and it is very well received. I adapted it from the Nestle recipe. I am still going to experiment with it because I want them to rise a bit more. *Since I use so much flour in this recipe, I think I may add some extra baking soda next time.* I did notice that I got two very different pans of cookies from the same dough. This recipe made exactly two dozen cookies. I put them on two separate cookie sheets and one batch came out noticeably thinner than the other. Possible scenarios I've come up with are the two different pans, not enough or not fresh enough baking soda, or it could have had something to do with the oven. Even though I preheated the oven, the second batch of cookies didn't spread as much and become so thin. I wish I could experiment but that would require me to make a ton more cookies and my butt really can't take that. Bathing suit season is just around the corner!

Cookie A. was baked on the shiny silver pan.
Cookie B. was baked on the old, baked on with grease, dark pan.
Notice how much thicker Cookie B. is?
Make sure and use a big ice cream scoop for perfectly
shaped, evenly cooked, cookies that are all about the same size. 
They should look like this: 
Ingredients:
3 cups unsifted flour {gently stir before scooping into your measuring cup}
1 tsp. baking soda*
1 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1-12oz bag of Nestle Milk Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl, set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, beat butter, both sugars, and vanilla until creamy, at least 2-3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Gently stir in chocolate chips. Drop by scoop onto cookie sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.

I'm having WAY too much fun doing these little food photo shoots. You know what's so great about it? There is no struggle with food. You put it down and it stays. You don't have to beg it to look at you, smile, or sit still! I have no idea what I'm doing, don't really know how to use my camera, but I'm still loving how some of my food photos have been turning out.



Since I always give away the things I bake, I packaged these up for the school office. They fit perfectly in this little pail I got from the dollar section at Target. I washed it out and lined it with wax paper. I stacked about 4 cookies, then added another piece of wax paper and stacked about four more.


Do you prefer a thin, crispy cookie
or a soft chewy cookie?
signature2
I'm linking these with all the parties in my sidebar and:

8 comments:

Kim with a K said...

Both your cookies look yummy!
I prefer the soft chewy cookie WARM and the thin crispy cookie FROZEN! That's right I said FROZEN!
I usually add rice crispies to my cookies - makes them less sweet and gives them more of a "crispy"ness!!!

Sue said...

Your cookies look great, Lil! I prefer soft and chewy:)

Sarah said...

CCC are my weakness :) I love them soft and chewy - a bit underdone.

Kathleen said...

I like them thick and chewy! Yours look delicious!
Lucky people who get your little gift!
Here from Foodie Friday!

Branson said...

Your blog always has me craving sweets! LOL! I am definitely going to try your recipe! :)

Leah said...

I have a serious weakness for chocolate chip cookies! If they are around, I'm in trouble! : ) This sounds delicious! Stopping by from Tasty Tuesdays!

Lisa said...

Those chocolate chip cookies look fantastic. I have a sweet treat linky party on my blog every weekend and I'd like to invite you to stop by then and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from Tasty Tuesdays:-) I use the Toll House recipe for my chocolate chip cookies, with a little variation. Once when mixing up a double batch, I left two stick of margarine in the microwave softening and totally forgot them. The resulting 1/2 fat cookies were cakier, thicker, but delicously chewy. Ever since then, I've always cut the butter or margarine in half when making Toll House cookies. Try it! Hey, a lower-fat cookie that still tastes great. What's to lose?

Anna
save1moredollar (at) gmail (dot) com