Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Good Things Simple-Homemade Croutons


So I was walking around the store picking up some salad ingredients. I decided on a Caesar Salad. The kids love croutons so I moseyed on over to check out my options. I have never been a fan of croutons, and I knew I didn't like any store-bought brands I had tried in the past. So I picked of one of those long skinny baguettes for $1.30 and decided I would make my own.

You'll Need:
1 french baguette
olive oil
garlic
Parmesan cheese
salt

Prep time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 10 minutes

Directions:
With no recipe to follow, I started. I only used half the loaf. After cutting it in half I cut the half I was going to use lengthwise. I turned those flat side down on the board and cut down lengthwise again so I ended up with 4 long strips. I sliced those into little cubes. I'm not a fan of the over sized crouton. Repeat with the other piece of sliced bread.

Then in a medium bowl, (sorry, I didn't actually measure, so your going to have to use your best judgement) add somewhere between 1/4 and a 1/2 cup of olive oil, some salt and a teaspoon, 1 teaspoon crushed garlic, and a tablespoon or so of grated (the powdery kind) Parmesan cheese. Whisk that all together and add your tiny bread cubes. Mix until bread is coated with the mixture. It shouldn't be soaking and some pieces may appear a little dry. You can always add a little more oil. But you don't want the bread to be soaking in it.

Spread croutons in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes. Stir the croutons. Bake for about 5 more minutes or until they are golden brown. When they come out of the oven they will be crunchy on the outside and warm and soft on the inside. After they sit for a while they will get completely crunchy. Beware, they are dangerously delicious! I will always make croutons from now on!

signature2

2 comments:

Sue said...

I have always thought of making homemade croutons, but never have. I can imagine they would be so much better than store bought. I would be happy to grab your basket of croutons and snack on them:)

Megan said...

I want to make these. Now. For breakfast. Haha.